Health promotion enhances the quality of life for all people. Health promotion refers primarily to the development of healthful living standards. In the 21st century, the workplace, along with the school, hospital, city, island, and marketplace, has been established as one of the priority setting for health promotion.
Today employees are facing much higher levels of stress than before. The worksite directly affects the physical, mental, economic and social well-being of employees and as a result of this, their family’s health is also affected. On the other hand, where stress levels are continuously increasing, the levels of fitness are continuously decreasing.
Worksite health promotion includes encouraging the overall well-being of all workers and most important it focuses on improving mental wellness. Worksite health promotion is the answer to the ever growing problem found in organization.
Workers and employees who are over-stressed are unable to work well. They are unable to concentrate and make unnecessary errors. They may also experience depression and are more irritable and less patient, which affects the performance of the company.
An effective worksite health promotion program ensures the balance between customer expectations and organizational objectives on the one hand and employees skill and health needs on the other. Development of worksite health promotion is a pre-requisite for sustainable economic and social development.
Employees who are physically and mentally fit will make better decisions, take less time from work and experience a much lower rate of illness and accidents than the employees who are not physically or mentally fit. Employers can assist employees suffering from drug addiction because employees find that the negative effects on their personal lives from drug addiction eventually start to appear at their workplace.
There are various benefits of encouraging worksite health promotion in organization such as:
- Workers who are physically and mentally fit are more productive and are a key strategy for goal achievement.
- Job satisfactions, increased strength, flexibility, etc. are some of the non-economic benefits form worksite health promotion that improves the productivity of an organization.
- An effective worksite health promotion program helps to improve the worker’s health, increase productivity and save money.
- If workplace is safe, workers feel motivated to work efficiently and effectively.
- Some of the benefits to the employees are reduced stress, increased job satisfaction, improved health, improved sense of well-being, increased skills, improved morale, enhanced self-esteem, etc.
- Organization also has some benefits such as reduced absenteeism and staff turnover, increased productivity, reduced risk of litigation, reduced insurance costs, a positive image in the society, etc.
- Firms and organizations achieve valuable publicity through competing to become the healthiest and most caring company.
- Workers who start living healthier lifestyle will notice remarkable improvements in their physical and mental fitness, stamina and disposition in a relatively short period of time.
- A mentally healthy workplace is demonstrated to have a beneficial effect on turn over and absenteeism.