Strawberries have a common scientific name of fragaria and are one of the popular fruit. Not only they are summery, juicy and delicious but also are a bonafide super food. It is called the queen of the fruits in Asian countries due to its many benefits. Here, we will discuss the various health benefits of this fruit.
The benefits of strawberries include proper brain function, improved vision, maintained blood pressure, treatment of gout, arthritis and several cardiovascular diseases, boost immunity, etc. Let us discuss some of the benefits of this fruit.
- Boost immunity: Vitamin C in strawberries acts as immunity booster and is a powerful & fast-working antioxidant. One serving of strawberries contains 51.5mg of this vitamin. As per the 2010 UCLA study, the antioxidant power in strawberries becomes bioavailable or ready to work in the blood after eating the fruits for just a few weeks.
- Burning stored fat: The anthocyanins present in the red color of the strawberries helps in stimulating the burning of stored fat. As per the study conducted on animals, they gained 24% less weight after feeding a high-fat diet along with anthocyanins as compared to the animals given the high diet without added anthocyanins.
- Skin health: Strawberry contains alpha-hydroxy acid. It is a vital substance that helps in eliminating the dead skin cells and even cleansing the skin. Strawberries also possess salicylic acid & ellagic acid. They help in reducing dark spots and hyper-pigmentation. Vitamin C present in strawberries also help in cleansing and keeping the skin healthy.
- Eye health: Free radicals may cause damage to the eyes with increased age. Antioxidants present in strawberries like phenolic phytochemicals, flavonoids and ellagic acid helps in avoiding these situations. Strawberries also help in fixing the disturbance in ocular pressure within the eyes.
- Combating cancer: Vitamin C is known to prevent cancer. Besides ellagic acid is also known to yield anti-cancer properties such as suppressing cancer cell growth. They contain lutein and zeathancins which combat free radicals and helps in neutralizing the potentially negative effect they can have on our cells.
- Ease inflammation: Strawberries helps in lowering the blood levels of C-reactive protein, which is a signal of inflammation. As per one study, women who ate 16 or more strawberries per week were 14% less likely to have elevated levels of CRP.
- Anti-aging: Strawberries contain powerful antioxidants which protect the body from oxidative damage and stall the signs of aging. Besides vitamin C present in a high amount in strawberries help in fighting free radicals. Strawberries also contain lycopene is a large amount, which plays a prominent role in staving off the signs of aging. Even the anthocyanins found in them prevent oxidative stress and thereby slowing down aging.
- Treats arthritis & gout: Free radicals in the body causes the drying up of the fluid helping increased mobility of the joints, degeneration of muscles and tissues and accumulation of toxic substances and acids. They are the primary reasons of arthritis and gout. Servings of this fruit daily can remove the rust from joints. Strawberries also possess anti-inflammatory ability which eases the inflammation and associated pain from these conditions.
- Fighting bad cholesterol: As per the researchers at the Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Center in Toronto, strawberries reduce the oxidative damage as well as blood lipids-both of which play a vital role in heart diseases and diabetes. Besides, ellagic acid and flavonoids also provide benefits to heart in various ways.
- Hair health: Vitamin C in strawberries encourages iron absorption and promotes hair growth. Deficiency of iron can lead to hair splits. Besides silica present in strawberries also help in preventing baldness and help in hair growth. Strawberries also play a vital role in treating dandruff & preventing fungal growth due to the presence of vitamin C.
- Brain health: Free radicals cause the brains tissues to degenerate and thus the nerve become weaker. Vitamin C and phytochemicals present in strawberries neutralize the effect of these oxidants and rejuvenate the system. Furthermore, iodine in them helps to regulate the proper functioning of the nervous system and brain. Potassium increases the blood flow to the brain.
- Weight management: Strawberries are naturally low calorie, fat free and low in both sodium and sugar. Strawberries contain sugar in a fairly low amount with 4g per serving. Besides, strawberries boost fibre which slows the absorption of sugars in the blood. All these are vital benefits of strawberries to reduce the body weight.
- Heart health: Strawberries possess the abundance of antioxidants and polyphenols which make them the ideal food to protect your heart from ailments. Anthocyanins also protect the lining of the circulatory system. Thus, they shield the arteries from plaque buildup and regulate the blood pressure.
- Reduces hypertension: Strawberries are a rich source of magnesium and potassium, which lowers the blood pressure. Potassium is a vasodilator which means that it reduces hypertension and the rigidity of blood vessels and arteries. This eases the flow of blood to various parts of the body and keep them functioning at their full potential.