Red cherries are packed with nutritional benefits. One cup serving of fresh cherries contains only 87 calories and less than half a gram of fat. Here, we shall discuss the various benefits of red cherries.
- Rich source of antioxidants: Red cherries are a rich source of antioxidants and anthocyanins. They contain chlorogenic acid, kaempferol, and quercetin. Red cherries possess the highest ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity). Anthocyanin found in red cherries feed on free radicals directly, attach on to the DNA to protect it against oxidative damage. They also set in motion the detoxification and antioxidant enzyme functions in the body. As per research, anthocyanins are found to protect the blood vessels and brain cells against oxidative stress. Thus they are beneficial in preventing atherosclerotic plaque formation and neurodegenerative ailments like dementia and Alzheimer’s.
- High in fiber: One cup of fresh red cherries contains about 2.9g of dietary fiber. Fiber reduces the risk of constipation by helping food pass through your digestive tract. This fiber also makes you feel fuller and reduce the risk that you consume too many calories.
- Cardiovascular health: Consumption of red cherries helps in reduction of triglycerides, VLDL, and monocyte chemo attractant protein-1. This molecule can cause plaque buildup in the arteries. As per some studies, red cherries can also lower as well as prevent buildup of C-creative protein, which can cause cardiovascular ailment.
- Antioxidants flavonoids: Red cherries contain various antioxidants flavonoids, which help in protecting your body against damage from environmental toxins and free radicals. As per the study published in 2010, anthocyanins possess the anti-inflammatory and anticarcinogenic properties. They help in preventing diseases, aiding in treating diabetes and in controlling obesity.
- Beneficial in combating inflammation of gout and arthritis: Red cherries and its juice are known to combat inflammation of gout and arthritis. Its juice also helps in lowering uric acid levels in the blood.
- Acts as painkiller: Red cherries contain anthocyanins which have a painkiller effect equal to that of the popular drugs ibuprofen and naproxen. Athletes also drink red cherries juice to deal with muscle pain and to build up stamina.
- Anti-aging: As per the scientist from the Michigan State University, drinking a glass of red cherry juice everyday can slow down the aging process. They contain seventeen different antioxidants compounds which are by far the highest levels of antioxidants in comparison to any other fruits. Antioxidants fight free radicals responsible for making you look old.
- Nice sleep: Red cherries are a rich source of hormone and antioxidant melatonin. These controls the sleep/wake cycle of the brain. As per some studies, they also improve the quality of sleep.
- Hair health: As per some studies, consumption of red cherries is good for hair growth. They also control hair fall effectively as they are a rich source of antioxidants.
Skin health: Vitamin C in red cherries also maintains healthy skin, ligaments, blood vessels, tendons and cartilage. Vitamin C is also responsible for healing wounds and keeping your bones and teeth strong. Red cherries fight skin bacteria and remove toxins from the blood that often are the culprits behind acne outbreaks.