Plums are extremely nutritious and offer various health benefits. They possess various minerals and vitamins as well as several antioxidants & fiber, which help in reducing the risk of several chronic diseases. Here we will discuss various health benefits of plums.
The benefits of plums include relief from influenza infection, aids in indigestion and other anxiety related problems. The antioxidants present in plums helps in treating ailments such as macular degeneration, osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer and obesity. Plums also help in maintaining the levels of cholesterol, cardiovascular health, cognitive health, immune system strength, nervous system, cellular health, electrolyte balance, etc. Let us discuss the various such benefits of this fruit.
- Bone health: As per one study, two groups ate prunes and dried apples respectively and took calcium and vitamin D supplements. The group who had prunes had substantially higher bone mineral density in the spine and forearms. As per the research, prunes may increase the levels of several hormones that are involved in bone formation.
- Antioxidants: Plums contain vitamin C and other phytonutrients like cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin, lutein, neo-chlorogenic and chlorogenic acid. They help in preventing the damage from oxygen radicals known as superoxide anion radicals. Plums also contain phenols which protect the neurons and cell membranes against any injuries caused by oxidative stress.
- Relieve in constipation: Plums help in preventing constipation by adding bulk to the stool and even speed up the rate that waste moves through the digestive tract. As per one study, people who consumed 50 grams of prunes daily for three weeks reported better stool consistency and frequency in comparison to a group that consumed psyllium.
- Maintain blood sugar: Plums help in increasing the levels of adiponectin that plays a vital role in blood sugar regulation. Further, the fiber present in plums also helps in maintaining the levels of blood sugar. Fiber slows the rate at which the body absorbs carbs after a meal, causing blood sugar to rise gradually, rather than spike.
- Treats indigestion related problems: Plums contains compounds such as sorbitol and isatin which helps in regulating the functioning of the digestive system and in relieving constipation.
- Cardiovascular health: Various antioxidants present in plums helps in getting rid of the free radicals and preventing cholesterol oxidation. Cholesterol oxidation is a threat to healthy blood vessels that may eventually lead to a number of heart diseases such as high cholesterol and heart stroke. Vitamin C found in plums also helps for controlling heart diseases in diabetic patients.
- Improves brain memory: Antioxidants present in plums are shown to slow the development of Alzheimer’s disease as per the University of Harvard Health Research. They also contain anthocyanin and quercetin, beneficial for preventing brain cell breakdown.
- Treats obesity: As per many studies, the consumption of plums helps in fighting metabolic syndrome, due to the presence of bioactive compounds. Various flavonoids and phenolic components such as anthocyanins, quercetin, chlorogenic acids, etc. found in plums exert anti-inflammatory and anti-obesity effects on the body.
- Combating cancer cells: As per some studies, plums help in preventing several types of cancer such as gastrointestinal cancer, breast cancer and respiratory tract cancers. Anthocyanins, which are reddish blue pigments in this fruit, protect against cancer by mopping the free radicals. Plums also contain vitamin A which is known to prevent oral and cavity cancer.
- Cognitive health: The phytonutrients present in plums help in reducing the inflammation in the neurological areas to improve learning and memory functions. As per several studies, the flavonoids in plum juice are effective in providing protection against age-related cognitive impairment.
- Lower risk of macular degeneration: Consuming three servings of plums daily can help in lowering the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.
- Weight loss: Plums help in removing toxins and in preventing constipation which leads to weight loss naturally. Fiber and antioxidants in plums aid in proper digestion and good metabolism. Citric acid in plums helps in preventing tiredness and cramps as well as improves gastrointestinal and liver function. Thus, consuming plums daily can help in weight loss.
- Nervous system: Vitamin B6 present in plums helps in transmission of nerve signals and aids in the smooth functioning of the nervous system. Plums also possess tryptophan, which helps in the production of neurotransmitter serotonin that plays a vital role in the appetite, sleep and concentration.
- Boost immunity: Due to the presence of vitamin C in a high amount in them, plums promote the body’s resistance against various inflammations and infections. As per the research, plums have immune stimulatory constituents which help in encouraging the production of nitric oxide in the body and in preventing various diseases.
- Anti-aging: Plums contain vitamin E as well as beta-carotene which help in protecting the cell membranes and fatty acid from the free radicals. They also help in increasing the cell metabolism and circulation. This helps in promoting the elasticity of the skin and keeping acne and wrinkles at bay. Plums also reduce the appearance of scar tissue by increasing the blood flow to the scar tissue and blending in the development of new skin.