Papayas are not only considered valuable, but their leaves, seeds, and flowers also possess healing powers. Papayas are one of the incredible ingredients due to the presence of the enzyme papain along with other essential nutrients that work together to provide you the nature’s best. Here, we have listed out the various health benefits of this fruit.
Papayas are loaded with several antioxidants that can reduce inflammation, fight disease and also help in keeping you looking young. They are extremely rich in vitamin C. Other such benefits of papayas include improved digestion, improved heart health, anti-cancer, relief from toothache, stronger immunity, regulates menstruation, better skin health, aids in weight loss, etc.
- Improved digestion: Presence of papain in papayas improves digestion by breaking down proteins and also cleanses the digestive tract. If the protein is not digested properly in our body, it can cause arthritis, diabetes, constipation, high blood pressure and other related condition. Papain in papayas ensures the conversion of protein into body fat.
- Anti-cancer: As per some research, lycopene in papayas can reduce the risk of cancer. It is also beneficial for people who are being treated for cancer. Papayas possess anti-cancer properties due to its ability to fight free radicals that contribute to cancer development and progression. Among 14 fruits and vegetables with known antioxidant properties, only papayas demonstrated anti-cancer activity in breast cancer cells.
- Lowers cholesterol: Papayas are rich in fibre, vitamin C and several antioxidants which help in preventing the cholesterol build up in the arteries. Too much cholesterol build up may lead to several heart diseases including heart attack and hypertension.
- Skin health: Papayas can make your skin flawless due to the active enzymes present in it. It helps to reduce pigmentation and controls acne breakouts and wrinkle formation. The enzymes present in papayas remove all traces of dry and flaky skin and hydrate it. Papayas also have the skin lightening abilities that can help in clearing blemishes and pigmentation. Papain present in papayas along with the alpha-hydroxyl acids acts as a powerful exfoliator and dissolves inactive proteins and dead skin cells.
- Heart health: Papaya seeds contain several antioxidants which can help in preventing cardiac diseases like myocardial infarction, diabetes and stroke. Pro-carotenoid phytonutrients present in papayas also help in maintain the heart health. Potassium in papayas helps to maintain the heart rate and blood pressure. Other antioxidants such as vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin E along with beta carotene help in preventing cholesterol thus discourage plaques formation. This helps in preventing the heart attack and strokes.
- Relieves toothache: A paste of fresh papaya roots can be massaged onto the teeth and gums to get relief from toothaches. The bark of the tree, primarily the inner bark, is also an excellent remedy.
- Eye health: Papayas are beneficial in reducing the risk of developing macular degeneration. Due to the presence of beta-carotene in papayas, they reduce the effect of macular degeneration. As per the study published in the Archives of Ophthalmology, the consumption of 3 or more servings of fruit every day may help in lowering the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- Anti-inflammatory: Papayas contain other effective enzymes along with papain that help against inflammation and promote the healing of burns. As per many studies anti-oxidants rich fruits and vegetables such as papayas helps in reducing the inflammatory markers.
- Anti-diabetic: As per many researchers, the consumption of raw papayas could help in maintaining the blood sugar level as well as cholesterol, due to the fiber content present in it and thus, keeping a check on diabetes. As per the study done by the Centre of Excellence for Biomedical and Biomaterials Research at the Mauritius University, green tea and fermented papayas act as preventive means for diabetes.
- Weight loss: Papayas are very low in calories, which is beneficial in losing body weight. The fiber present in papayas makes you feeling full as well as clears your bowel movement making your weight loss regime easier.
- Hair health: Papayas can help in getting long and healthy hair. Folic acid present in papayas help in improving circulation to the hair follicles and promotes hair growth. Papayas also possess anti-fungal properties that help in controlling and preventing dandruff. They can restore the life of your hair making it hydrated and soft.
- Nausea treatment: Papayas are beneficial in the treatment of nausea, morning sickness and motion sickness. During pregnancy, doctors suggest ladies consuming papayas in small quantity. They help in preventing the nausea and show good result when taken along with pineapple juice.
- Treats constipation: Folate, vitamin C and E in papayas reduces the motion sickness by producing the tonic effect in the stomach and in the intestines. Papaya juice and the ripened form of papaya also help in improved digestion. The fiber present in the fruit helps to increase bowel movements. Improved bowel movement help to ease the passage of stool and thereby reducing the effects of constipation.
- Boost immunity: Papayas are rich in vitamin A, B, C and K and thus possess excellent immunity booster properties. These vitamins help in maintaining collagen, the structural protein of connective tissues. A medium sized papaya can provide you double your daily requirement of vitamins.
- Helpful in treating arthritis: Papayas are good for your bones health due to their anti-inflammatory properties as well as the presence of vitamin C. it helps in keeping various forms of arthritis at bay. As per the study published in Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, people who consumed foods low in vitamin C were three times more likely to have arthritis than those who didn’t.
- Cardiovascular health: Papayas are a wealthy source of vitamin A & C. They help in preventing the oxidation of cholesterol, which stops it from clogging the blood vessels. Thus, it helps in reducing the risk of heart attacks.
- Anti-aging: Papayas helps in preventing the premature aging. Rubbing the peel of the fruit on the face gives glow to the skin due to the presence of alphs hydroxyl acids. The detoxification properties of papayas make the skin soft and glowing.
- Regulates menstruation: Papaya juice can help the women with irregular periods. Consumption of green and unripe papayas can help in normalizing the irregularity in the periodic cycle. The excessive production of heat produced in the body due to the consumption of papayas stimulates the estrogen hormone. Thus induces periods in the female.