Olives belong to a group of fruit called drupes or stone fruits. They are high in vitamin E and other powerful antioxidants. Olives are also enjoyed in salads, tapenade and sandwiches. They have been associated with many health benefits, especially for heart health and cancer prevention. Here we will discuss various benefit of this fruit.
Benefits of olives include improved cardiovascular health, possesses anti-cancer properties, reduced inflammation and arthritis, improved digestion, protection against heart disease, improved blood circulation, boost cognitive function, lower blood pressure, etc.
- Cardiovascular health: Antioxidants & nutrients in black olives help in maintaining the cardiovascular health. When free radicals oxidize cholesterol, blood vessels are damaged and fat builds up in arteries which can lead to a heart attack. The antioxidants and nutrients present in olives impede this oxidation of cholesterol. Olives also contain healthy monounsaturated fat, which is found to shrink the risk of atherosclerosis and increase good cholesterol.
- Heart health: high blood cholesterol and high blood pressure are the risk factors for heart diseases. Oleic acid present in olives is associated with improved heart health. It also helps in regulating the cholesterol levels and protecting the LDL-cholesterol from oxidation. As per some studies olive and its oil reduce the blood pressure.
- Bone health: As per the study conducted on animals, some of the plant compounds found in olives and olive oil helps in preventing the boss loss in animals. Olive consumption may help in reducing the risk of bone loss and osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is characterized by decreased bone mass and bone quality and can increase the risk of fractures.
- Anti-cancer: Black olives contain vitamin E in a great amount, which is capable of neutralizing free radicals in the body fat. Especially when working with the stable monounsaturated fats found in olives, vitamin E can make cellular processes safer. In case the DNA of a cell is damaged, it may well mutate and become cancerous. As per many studies, olive oil leads to a lower risk of colon cancer.
- Reduce inflammation: Olives contain various compounds which not only serve as antioxidants but also as anti-inflammatory. These compounds reduce the inflammation from the body, which includes a reduction in pain as well as irritation in the joints, muscles, injuries, tendons, and other extremities. Olives can be a major benefit in terms of arthritis, gout and other rheumatic conditions.
- Improved digestive tract health: Vitamin E and monounsaturated fats in olives help in preventing the colon cancer by neutralizing the free radicals. Olive oil is also beneficial to ulcers and gastritis. Olive oil lowers the incidence of gallstone formation. They help in promoting digestive tract health by helping to move food through the system at a healthier pace.
- Improve circulation: Olives are a rich source of iron and copper which are important for the creation of red blood cells. The reduction in red blood cell count results in anemia.
- Allergies treatment: Olives help in reducing the intensity or frequency of allergic reaction. Certain components of olives function as anti-histamines by blocking the receptor sites for histamines, which induces allergic reactions. Olive’s consumption may help in reducing the signs of seasonal allergies and specific allergic reactions.
- Eye health: Vitamin A in black olives is converted into the retinal form and is crucial for healthy eyes. It enables the eye to better distinguish between light and dark, thereby improving night vision. Further, vitamin B also fights against cataracts, macular degeneration and other age-related ocular diseases.
- Antibacterial qualities: Olives contain oleuropein which functions as antimicrobial and antibacterial agent for the body. Consumption of olives regularly can increase the presence of oleuropein, which help in defending against bacterial infections throughout the body both internally as well as externally.