Lychee or litchi has a round or oval shape with a pinkish-brown rind, translucent to white flesh, and an inedible seed. They are rich in nutrients and have several health benefits which we will discuss here.
Lychee has various brain & health benefits such as weight loss, skin health, boosting immune system, anti-cancer, improved digestion, bones health, lowering blood pressure, defending against viruses, increase in metabolism, etc.
- Improved digestion: Lychee contains enough amount of dietary fiber which adds bulk to the stool and improves the digestive health. This helps bowel movements move through the digestive tract smoothly, and fiber also stimulates peristaltic motion of the smooth small intestine muscles, increasing the speed of food passing. They also help in stimulating the gastric and digestive juices, so the absorption of nutrients is efficient. This results in reduction of constipation and other gastrointestinal disorders.
- Anti-aging: Body produces more and more free radicals with your increasing age. These free radicals damage the skin and can cause wrinkles. Lychees are rich in antioxidants that combine with the free radicals and prevent them from damaging your skin.
- Heart health: Lychees contain flavonoids, fiber and antioxidants which help in maintain the health of heart. In addition, oligonol present in lychee may also help in increasing the nitric oxide in your blood which can open constricted blood vessels and help in lowering the blood pressure.
- Boost immunity system: Lychees are a rich source of vitamin C as well as ascorbic acid which helps in boosting the immunity system. Vitamin C also helps in stimulating the activity of white blood cells that defend the body against foreign materials.
- Increase metabolism: Lychee contains fiber and vitamin B-complex in enough amounts, which increase metabolism. Lychees are also rich in antioxidants and flavonoids which help in increasing the metabolism. They help in dissolving fat from the body and in combating insulin resistance.
- Heart health: Antioxidants and vitamin C present in lychees are found to lower the blood pressure. Fiber is present in a high quantity which discourages fat formation and fat reserves in the body. Lychees also help in lowering down the overall blood cholesterol level that creates an obstruction to the blood circulation. Potassium in lychees aids the heart beat by keeping and regulating the muscle function of the body.
- Anti-cancer: Lychees contain polyphenolic compounds and proanthocyanidins which are even more powerful than vitamin C. They help in neutralizing free radicals and protect the body from various diseases and afflictions. These free radicals can cause cancer, heart disease, cognitive disorders, and premature aging. Lychees work as an effective preventive measure of various cancers.
- Anti-viral: Proanthocyanidins in lychee have demonstrated antiviral capabilities. Litchi tannin A2 is found in lychee which is closely connected to preventing the spread or outbreak of viruses, including herpes simplex virus and coxsackie virus.
- Skin health: Lychee helps in the treatment of sunburns due to the presence of vitamin C & E in it. Applying lychee juice also helps in fading away the blemishes and marks, giving you the clear skin.
- Improves blood circulation: Lychee contains high amount of copper which helps in boosting the blood circulation in the body. Copper is responsible for forming the Red Blood Cells (RBC), which helps in better blood circulation and increased oxygenation of the organs and cells. Lychees also help in lowering down the high blood pressure by maintaining the fluid balance.
- Anti-inflammatory: Lychees are rich in flavanol and thus their extracts are known to treat inflammation and tissue damage caused by inflammation.
- Mitochondrial health: Lychees contains large amount of phenolic compound and antioxidant activities which protects from oxidative stress. As per the study, lychee phenolic compounds protected against stress-induced liver injury by modulating mitochondrial dysfunction in animals.
- Bones health: Essential nutrients such as magnesium, iron, copper, manganese and phosphorus, etc. are found in lychees. They are known to increase the calcium absorption in the bones, thereby making them strong and healthy.