Limes are genetically similar to lemons. They are commonly known as ‘Kaccha nimbu’ in Hindi, ‘Elumichai Pazham’ in Tamil, ‘Nimma Pandu’ in Telugu, ‘Nimbe’ in Kannada, ‘Cherunaranga’ in Malayalam, ‘Limbu’ in Gujarati and ‘Lebu’ in Bengali. Limes are delicious and are packed with various health boosting nutrients. Here we have listed out the various health benefits of limes.
Benefits of limes include improved vision, skin-health, weight loss, improved digestion, improved respiration, urinary disorders, relief from constipation, etc. let us discuss various such benefits of limes.
- Scurvy treatment: Scurvy is a disease caused by the deficiency of vitamin C. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C and can be used in the treatment of scurvy.
- Skin health: Limes contain several powerful antioxidants such as vitamin C, citric acid, and flavonoids, which are all beneficial to the skin. Lime juice can be used to lighten dark spots on the skin as it acts a natural bleaching agent. The antibiotic properties of limes also help in keeping acne and pimples at bay. Scrubbing your skin with lime peel can help in the treatment of dark spots and other aging signs. Several other benefits include treatment of open pores, removal of dead skin, glowing skin, etc.
- Reduce the risk of obesity: A glass of warm water containing the lime juice acts as a refreshing antioxidant-rich drink. It may help in reducing the weight. This is due to the citric acid present in lime juice which helps to burn body fat. Limes juice contains various vitamins with very few calories and sugar.
- Reduces cholesterol: Vitamin C is present in high amount in limes. It helps in reducing the level of bad cholesterol in the body as well as helps in preventing the development of atherosclerosis and slowing the process of aging. Limes also stimulate the production of the collagen, which determines the elasticity and firmness of the skin.
- Improved digestion: Limes causes your mouth to water as they have an irresistible aroma. The natural acidity in lime breaks down the macro molecules of the food. The flavonoids found in the fragrant oils extracted from lime helps in stimulating the digestive system and increasing the secretion of digestive juices, bile and acids.
- Hair health: Lime juice is often used as an ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos. Limes contain citric acid which is very effective and beneficial in dealing with dandruff issues. Lime juice also contains oil absorbing property. It is used in treating baldness, hair thinning and hair loss problems since ages due to the presence of vitamin C.
- Eye health: Limes contain several antioxidants and antibacterial properties, which are beneficial for your eyes. Vitamin C in limes also protects your eyes from aging and macular degeneration while the flavonoids prevent infections.
- Reduced risk of diabetes: Limes contain soluble fiber which helps in regulating the body’s sugar absorption into the blood. This helps in the reduced risk of blood sugar spike. Soluble fiber also helps in lowering the blood pressure and in reducing the bad cholesterol.
- Relieves constipation: Limes help in clearing the excretory system by washing and cleaning the tracts. The roughage in lime can help to ease constipation. An overdose of lime juice combined with salt also acts as an excellent purgative without any side effects.
- Heart health: Soluble fiber helps in maintain the blood sugar levels and also eliminates the presence of LDL cholesterol. Further, it can cut down on inflammation of the blood vessels, which can help in preventing certain heart diseases such as heart attack and strokes.
- Treatment in Cystitis: Cystitis is also called urinary tract infection. Potassium present in limes helps in eliminating the toxic substances and precipitates that get accumulated in the kidneys and urinary bladder. They also contain disinfectant properties, which can help in curing infection in the urinary system. They help in preventing the prostate growth and in preventing the blockage of urine caused by calcium deposits in the urinary tract.
- Treatment in respiratory disorders: Lime extracts contain the flavonoid rich oil, which is used as an ingredient in anti-congestive medicines like vaporizers, inhalers and balms. This is because of the presence of kaempferol. Inhaling the peel of a lime after scratching it provides relief from congestion and nausea.
- Anti-cancer: Limes contain limonoids compounds which possess anti-carcinogenic properties. They help in prevention of colon cancer, blood cancer and stomach cancer.