Kiwi is not an ordinary fruit. It is too loaded with essential vitamins and minerals and works in many ways to give you a nutritional boost. Kiwi is a small fruit is full of nutrients and antioxidants as well as fiber. Here, we have the discussed the various benefits of kiwis in detail.
Health benefits of this fruits include improved cardiovascular health and digestive health, treatment in cancer, insomnia, diabetes, etc. let us discuss the various such benefits in brief
- Improved cardiovascular health: kiwi fruit is rich in vitamin C & E, potassium, protective polyphenols, etc. which helps in maintaining the cardiovascular health effectively. As per one investigative study, fruit exerts inhibitory activities which help in the reduction of triglycerides in the blood. As per another study, consuming kiwis daily may help in reducing the platelet aggression response or the risk of blood clotting. This effect also helps in preventing the risk of thromboembolic and cardiac disorders.
- Improved sleep: As per the Taipei Medical University’s research, kiwis contain many medicinally useful compounds, among which antioxidants and serotonin may be beneficial in the treatment of sleep disorders. This fruit also contains flavonoids such as naringenin, rutin, epicatechin, quercetin, catechin, etc. which modulates the sleep inducing receptors.
- Improved digestion: Kiwis contain a high amount of fiber, which is good for digestion. They also consist of proteolytic enzyme known as actinides that helps in breaking down protein. As per one study, kiwi extract containing actinides enhances the digestion of most proteins.
- Skin health: Kiwis helps in countering the effects of acidic foods, which we often consume. Vitamin C and E present in kiwi are beneficial for the skin. They act as antioxidants and thus prevent skin degradation.
- Asthma treatment: Vitamin C and several antioxidants are present in a high amount in kiwis. They can help in treatment of asthma. As per one study in 2000, consuming fresh fruits along with kiwis regularly benefitted the lung function. Kiwis may also reduce wheezing in susceptible children.
- Macular degeneration: Kiwis are a rich source of phytochemicals lutein and zeaxanthin, which are critical components residing in the eyes. Vitamin A along with these components helps in protecting the eyes from age-related macular degeneration as well as from cataracts and other such vision disorders.
- Beneficial in pregnancy: Kiwis contain natural folate which helps to prevent the occurrence of neural tube defects in the unborn babies. It is essential for their brain and cognitive growth. Vitamin C, E & K along with flavonoids in kiwis help in the overall growth and development of the fetus.
- Skin health: Kiwis helps to maintain smooth and healthy skin. They contain vitamin C which helps in keeping the skin firm and expedite healing of cuts and abrasions. Vitamin E in kiwi helps in reducing the fine lines and appearances of wrinkles. It also helps to reduce the harmful effects of UV radiations on the skin. Kiwis also contain several antioxidants which work as anti-aging agent, preventing the skin from early degeneration and keeping it rejuvenated.
- Boost immunity: Kiwis contain vitamin C in a large amount, which is an important nutrient helping in boosting your immune system and warding off diseases. As per one study, kiwis reduce the likelihood of developing cold or flu like illnesses.
- Maintain blood pressure: Kiwis also helps in maintaining the blood pressure. One study on 2014 found that, the bioactive substances in three kiwis a day can help in lowering blood pressure more than one apple a day.
- Anti-cancer: Kiwis are helpful in treating various types of cancer such as liver cancer, breast cancer, lung cancer and stomach cancer. Kiwi extracts helps in protecting against endogenous DNA damage. This fruit works against cancer by being cytotoxic to malignant cancer cells without affecting the normal and healthy cells.