Guavas are called ‘Amrood’ in Hindi. They are often rejected due to their hardness and seeds. But guavas are extremely rich in various vitamins and minerals and also contain medicinal properties. Here, we have listed the various benefits of this fruit.
Guavas are round or oval in shape. Their colour may be light green or light yellow and the colour of its flesh varies from white or pink to dark red. Benefits of guavas include improved skin, diarrhea treatment, maintaining blood pressure, effective in cough and cold, etc. Let us discuss the various benefits of guavas.
- Maintaining blood pressure: As per some test-tube and animal studies, guava extract helps in reducing the blood sugar levels as well as improves the long-term blood sugar control with insulin resistance. As per another study, drinking guava leaf tea after meal helps in lowering down the blood sugar levels.
- Reduces diabetes risk: Guavas contain fiber which helps in lowering the blood sugar levels. They also clean the digestive system and maintain free bowel movement. Guava extract may also help in improving blood sugar control in people with the disease of diabetes. Due to the rich fiber content, guavas also prevent the development of diabetes.
- Anti-cancer: Vitamin C in guavas helps in protecting the cells the lowering cancerous damage to them. Lycopene, quercetin and other polyphenols also acts as potent antioxidants which neutralize the free radicals in the body and thus, prevents the growth of cancer cells. Guavas also help in reducing the risk of prostate cancer and breast cancer.
- Weight loss: Guavas are high in roughage, has hardly any level of cholesterol and has a low number of digestive carbohydrates. Thus, they satisfy the appetite easily. Raw guava has very less sugar as compared to apples, oranges and other fruits. Guavas can also help lean and skinny people to gain weight, which is due to the nutrients, which regulates the metabolism and promotes proper absorption of nutrients.
- Boost immunity: Guavas are the richest sources of vitamin C, which helps in improving the immunity and protecting against common infection and pathogens.
- Improves vision: Vitamin A found in guavas is a booster for vision health. They also help in slowing down the appearance of cataracts, macular degeneration and improve the overall health of the eyes. Guavas can protect the eye cells and also prevent the deterioration of eyesight. Guavas are also rich in retinol, which improves the vision.
- Brain health: Magnesium in guavas can help to relax muscles and nerves of the body. It also helps in reducing nervousness. Guavas help in keeping your brain functions positive by maintaining good blood flow and infusing it with vitamin B3 and B6.
- Heart health: Guavas improves the sodium and potassium balance of the body, thereby regulating blood pressure in patients with hypertension. They also help in lowering the triglycerides and bad cholesterol level in the body. At the same time, guavas also improve the level of the good cholesterol.
- Constipation treatment: Guavas consist of dietary fiber in a large amount. One medium sized guava fulfills around 12% of your daily recommended intake of fibre. It is extremely beneficial for the digestive health. Guava seeds serve as excellent laxatives, which helps in forming of healthy bowel movements.
- Beneficial during pregnancy: Pregnant women are recommended folic acid or vitamin B9, which is found in guavas. It helps in developing the baby’s nervous system and also protecting the newborn from neurological disorders.
- Scurvy treatment: Deficiency of vitamin C may cause scurvy. The only cure is intake of vitamin C in high amount which is present in guavas. They contain four times more vitamin C than oranges.
- Thyroid health: Guavas contain copper in a good amount, which is vital for regulating metabolism by helping to control hormone production and absorption. The thyroid hormones play a significant role in energy regulation and metabolism in the body.
- Benefits in menstruation: Guavas can reduce the pain intensity of menstrual cramps. As per the study, women who experienced painful symptoms found that consuming 6mg of guava leaf extract every day resulted in reduced pain intensity. Guavas can be more effective than some painkillers.
- Flu treatment: Guava juice is an effective remedy to cure flu. Flu can be easily cured by the body’s immune system. Vitamin C is the most essential nutrient that can fight off flu. It also boosts the immune system. Guava juice is the best way to get vitamin C from the natural source.
- Skin health: Pink guava can help in beautifying the skin and thus, enabling it to regain its radiance and freshness. It can also help in improving the skin complexion. Guava scrub helps in removing the dead cells from the skin and lightening the skin complexion. It also removes impurities and thereby providing skin a fresh and invigorated feeling.