Figs are one of the oldest fruits consumed by humans. They are also known as Anjeer in Hindi, Athi Pally in Telugu, Dumoor in Bengali, Anjura in Kannada, Atti Pazham in Tamil and Malayalam. We have listed the various benefits of this fruits here.
Figs are oval or pear-shaped and in colour of white, red, green, purple, yellow or black. They have a unique taste and texture as well as sweet and chewy. Dried figs are available throughout the year whereas fresh figs are available from June to September. Benefits of figs include improved digestion, constipation, treatment for sexual dysfunction, piles, diabetes, asthma, etc. Let us discuss the various benefits of figs.
- Weight Loss: Figs contain fiber which aids in reducing weight and is also recommended for obese people. They contain high amount of calories which can also increase weight if consumed with milk. As per many health experts, foods with high fiber make one feel full and satiated for long. This helps them in their weight loos strategies. As per the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a diet rich in fibre can help in shedding extra weight from the body.
- Lowers blood pressure: Potassium is an important nutrient found in figs that help in maintain blood pressure. It tends to negate the harmful effects of sodium. Potassium also leads to reduction in digestive disorders. It may help in protecting against heart and kidney diseases for the individuals with the disease of diabetes.
- Prevent constipation: Figs are a rich source of fiber which helps in promoting healthy, regular bowel function and in preventing constipation. Fiber also helps in adding bulk and mass to the bowel movement. Thus, it also eliminates diarrhea and unhealthy or irregular bowel movement.
- Heart health: Dried figs consist of phenol, omega-3 and omega-6. Such type of fatty acids helps in reducing the risk of coronary heart disease. Furthermore, the fig leaves have a significant effect on the level of triglycerides in a person’s effect. They also help in preventing various heart diseases.
- Improved digestion: Figs relieve constipation and improve the overall digestive health. Fiber helps in improved digestion and dietary fiber also helps in healthy bowel movement relieving constipation. The fiber in figs also treats diarrhea and soothes the entire digestive system.
- Promotes reproductive health: Figs contain enough amounts of manganese, zinc, magnesium and iron, which help in improving reproductive health. Young girls are also advised to eat figs to overcome PMS issues. As per many studies, fiber and antioxidants in figs help to protect against post-menopausal breast cancer and hormonal imbalances.
- Bone health: Figs are also a good source of calcium. Humans require around 1000mg of calcium every day to meet the daily requirements. Thus, they are also beneficial in maintaining bone health.
- Control diabetes: As per the American Diabetes Association, figs help in promoting functional control of diabetes. Figs are a rich source of potassium, which helps to regulate the amount of sugar that is absorbed by the body after meals. Potassium also ensures that blood sugar spikes and falls are much less frequent, so figs can help diabetics live a normal life.
- Prevent colon cancer: Consuming figs regularly can help in lowering the risk of colon cancer. The fiber in figs also helps in eliminating the waste in the body quickly as well as works well in the prevention of colon cancer.
- Skin health: Figs are rich in vitamin and minerals such as vitamin B, vitamin C, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, etc. They help in boosting up and rejuvenating the skin’s health. Figs also contain omega-3 fatty acid, which helps in keeping the skin well-moisturized.
- Prevent hypertension: Figs are a wealthy source of potassium and low in sodium. Thus, they help in protecting against the appearance and effects of hypertension. They settle the nerves and bring some calmness to your day.
- Relieve throat pain: Figs are useful in treating various respiratory disorders such as whooping cough and asthma. The high mucilage content found in figs help in healing and protecting sore throats. The soothing nature of figs and their natural juices can relieve pain and stress on the vocal chords.