Cranberries are one of the healthiest fruits due to their high nutrients and antioxidants. Half a cup of cranberries contain about 25 calories. They are also even lower in sugar. Here, we will discuss the various health benefits of cranberries.
Cranberries benefits include prevention of certain types of cancer, lowered risk of urinary tract infections, improved immune function, decreased blood pressure and many more. Let us discuss such benefits in detail as under.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Cranberries contain proanthocyanidins in high amount, which helps in reduction of adhesion of certain bacteria to the urinary tract walls and in turn fighting infections. As per the study published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, cranberry capsules are more helpful in urinary tract infection than cranberry juice. This is because the amount of concentration is not found in the juices.
- Inflammation: Cranberries have an anti-inflammatory effect. This can potentially benefit in condition such as rheumatoid arthritis, stomach and digestive disorders, and our cardiovascular system.
- Anti-oxidants: Cranberries contain anti-oxidants in a large amount such as anthocyanins, quercetin, selenium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, etc. They help in protecting cells against oxidative stress and free radicals. Thus, they can help in reducing the risk of cancer as well as heart diseases.
- Cardiovascular health: Polyphenols in cranberries may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. It prevents platelet buildup and reduces blood pressure via anti-inflammatory mechanisms. Cranberries also help in the improvement of HDL and LDL cholesterol. The flavonoids in cranberries possess antioxidant properties and thus may decrease the threat of atherosclerosis.
- Anti-cancer: As per many researchers, cranberries are beneficial in slowing the tumor growth. They have shown positive effects against certain types of cancer such as prostate, lung, breast, and colon cancer. As per some studies, proanthocyanidins in cranberries can stop micro-tumors from developing in the blood vessels.
- Abundance of fiber: One cup of cranberries consists of about 4.6g of dietary fiber. Fiber maintains bowel health, lower cholesterol as well as help in controlling blood sugar. It also helps in controlling weight as it makes you feel fuller for a longer period of time.
- Dental health: Proanthocyanidins in cranberries are helpful for maintaining dental or oral health. They prevent bacteria from binding to teeth as per many researchers. Cranberries are also beneficial in preventing the gum diseases.
- Ulcers: Several types of stomach ulcers are related to a particular type of bacteria called helicobacter pylori. Cranberries may help in preventing these bacteria from attaching to the lining of the stomach, similar to how they can help prevent bacteria from attaching to the lining of the urinary tract.
- Prevents scurvy: Cranberries possess high levels of vitamin C which is vital for the body to make collagen. Collagen is the main component behind the healthy functioning of tissues.
- Anti-aging: The wealth of phytonutrients and antioxidants present in cranberries play a vital role in providing protection against the problems that develop with age. These problems can be lack of coordination or loss of memory. Cranberries possess therapeutic properties that protect the cells from the damage which is caused by unstable molecules called free radicals that contribute to aging. This help in making the skin look youthful.
- Obesity & Cold: Cranberry juice is very effective in fighting against infection. It can cure sore throats and colds. It is also rich in organic acids, which have an emulsifying effect on the fat deposits in tour body.