Blueberries grow in clusters and range in size from that of a small pea to a marble. Natural medicine had long held that blueberries give long-life health benefits that far exceed their tiny size. Here, we will discuss the various benefits of blueberries.
Such berries are rich in proanthocyanidin, which assist in fighting cancer, losing weight and glowing skin. They also contain vitamin C & K, manganese and other antioxidants that lead to its numerous other health benefits. The various benefits of the blueberries are as follows:
- Anti-aging: Blueberries are a rich source of antioxidants, which help in reverse damage done by toxins and free radicals and also help your body defend itself against dangerous pathogens. Antioxidants react with free radicals and prevent them from causing damage. Proanthocyanidin in blueberries also have additional anti-aging properties in several animal studies. Phytochemicals and antioxidants also help to neutralize the free radicals as well as to strengthen the blood vessels and to heal broken capillaries.
- Cure Acne: Blueberries contain salicylates in a high amount. It is widely used in topical acne treatment products. It has the ability to open clogged pores, remove dead skin, and act against bacteria.
- Boost Immune system: Blueberries have a high concentration of antioxidants such as anthocyanin, vitamin C, E, A, copper, iron, selenium, zinc, etc. They help in boosting the immune system and preventing the infections.
- Reducing belly fat: As per one study, blueberries may help in reducing belly fat and risk factors for cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome. However, this study is only limited to animals. A related study showed that men with risk factors for heart disease who drank wild blueberry juice for three weeks, experienced slight improvements in glucose and insulin control.
- Urinary tract health: The building of colonies of certain bacteria such as b-coli along the lining of the inner walls of urinary tract is responsible for urinary tract infection. It leads to inflammation, burning sensation during in passage of urine and other complication. Blueberries have some anti-biotic properties. These almost wash off the bacteria responsible for this infection along with the tract.
- Brain health: Blueberries are a rich source of phenols, specifically Gallic acid. As per some researchers from Iran, blueberries can literally protect our brains from degeneration, neurotoxicity and oxidative stress. As per some other study, blueberries help in improving memory and motor function.
- Fighting cancer: Gallic acid present in blueberries can kill cancer without harming healthy cells. The journal of biochemical and molecular toxicology published a study evaluating the anticancer effects of gallic acid on breast cancer cells. Researchers also discovered that blueberries and gallic acid slow ad even destroy the breast cancer.
- Heart health: As per the journal circulation study, eating blueberries and strawberries together has a superpower tag-team effect that actually decreases your risk of heart attack by up to 33%. Blueberries also lower LDL cholesterol naturally and raise HDL cholesterol as well as lower blood pressure naturally.
- Benefits to Hair: Vitamin B and proanthocyanidins in blueberries are very beneficial for hair. They help to stimulate the growth of hair by accelerating the transition from telogen to anagen. Vitamin B12 in blueberries also helps in preventing premature grey hair.
- Improved digestion: Blueberries are the natural sources of soluble and insoluble fiber. They can help in regulating the gastrointestinal track. As per Vivian Chi-Hua Wu of the University of Maine, addition of wild blueberries to diet can alter the balance of gut microbe in favor of members of the actinobacteria phylum. She and her team found that wild blueberries have prebiotic potential, which promotes the growth of good bacteria in the colon and promotes digestive and health benefits.
- Eye health: Anthocyanocides in blueberries are found to slow down the visual loss. They help in preventing or delaying all age related problems like cataract, myopia, macular degeneration, hypermetropia, dryness and infection related to retina. Vitamin A, C, & E, zinc, phosphorus and selenium are also very important for the ocular health. Blueberries contain antioxidants called carotenoids, flavonoids and other such antioxidants compounds which are all vital in improving eye-health.
- Weight loss: Blueberries are a rich source of fiber and are low in calories. Thus, they are the ideal snack to lose weight. Soluble fiber slows down the process of digestion, which leads you to feeling full for a longer period of time.