Our skin reflects what we eat and plays a vital role in our outer appearance. Blackberries are a rich source of vitamin A & C which offers higher level of antioxidants than blueberries as well as strawberries. Here, we will list various such health benefits of blackberries.
The benefits of blackberries go beyond their yummy taste. Benefits include better digestive health, strengthened immune defense, healthy functioning of heart as well as prevention of cancer. Various other health benefits of black berries are as follows:
- Prevention and slow growth of cancer: Blackberries contain rich antioxidants such as polyphenols which are known for their cancer fighting abilities. An extract of fresh blackberry was also found to exhibit tumor preventive effects on a line of human lung cell cancer. Anthocyanin in blackberries blocks the growth of cancer cells. Blackberries are also known to prevent some cell mutation that leads to cancer in the first place. Vitamin K present in blackberries is found to possess anti-cancer properties.
- Vitamin C Benefits: Blackberries contains vitamin C, which is integral to collagen formation in bones, blood vessels and connective tissue. Vitamin C also helps in healing wound, absorbing iron, regenerating skin, preventing scurvy and battling the free radicals released in the body. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant and reduces oxidative stress in the body.
- Endothelial Dysfunction Prevention: As per scientific studies, blackberries contain several useful components such as cyaniding 3-O-glucoside, which fight the oxidative activity. Further, it also helps in reducing DNA damage and guards against vascular failure.
- Fights Free Radicals: Anthocyanocides and polyphenols, the two antioxidants found in blackberries help in fighting free radicals. Vitamin A & C also acts as anti-oxidants.
- Skin Health: Regular consumption of blackberries protects the skin against the damaging UVA and UVB rays and assists in skin cell renewal. Blackberries contain more than 85% of water as well as are abundant in fiber. Both of these are necessary for a healthy skin. Consumption of blackberries maintains the elasticity of the skin. Blackberries also consist of vitamin A, C and K which are excellent for skin rejuvenation.
- Brain function: Blackberries have great potential in increasing brain performance as they are high in antioxidants. As per some studies, short-term memory seems most drastically improved by a constant diet of blackberries. Blackberries also includes manganese, which is an important nutrient linked to brain functioning. Nutrients and compounds found in them protect brain cells from degeneration.
- Rich source of fiber: Blackberries are a rich source of fiber. A low fiber diet is linked to digestive problems such as constipation, stomach pain and bloating. Fiber in blackberries helps in reducing cholesterol, weight-loss, maintaining blood sugar levels, providing fuel for nourishing healthy gut bacteria, etc. Both soluble and insoluble fibers are vital for the optimum functioning of digestive system.
- Cognitive health: As per research studies, polyphenolic components present in blackberries help retard the age-related decline in motor and cognitive activity attributing to their super antioxidant power.
- Healthy heart & cardiovascular health: Magnesium and fiber present in blackberries prevent the arteries from getting blocked and stimulates smooth flow of blood. This help in reducing the various heart diseases such as stroke, atherosclerosis, etc. and maintaining cardiovascular health. Magnesium also helps to regulate blood pressure levels and to prevent cardiac arrhythmia and irregular contraction. Blackberries also help in preventing the arteries from being blocked and boost smooth flow of the blood.
- Boost Immune system: Blackberries improve the immunity of the body due the presence of vitamins and minerals as well as phytoestrogens. Regular consumption of blackberries helps in fighting a lot of pathogens and protecting the body from infections as well as other fatal diseases.
- Healthy Hair: Blackberries contain vitamin C helps in maintaining the hair strong. The antioxidants present in blackberries also help combat the harmful and damaging effects of the environment on the hair.
- Diabetes: Potassium present in blackberries helps in reducing insulin. Even the leaves of blackberries are known to have anti-diabetic properties.
- Menstrual health: Blackberries contains vitamin K, which helps in regulating hormone function and thereby potentially reducing cramping pains. Vitamin K also acts as blood-clotting vitamin which helps in excessive bleeding and gives some pain relief during menstrual cycles. Manganese and calcium present in blackberries also help in maintaining menstrual health.
- Weight management: Blackberries help in maintaining body weight. Fiber in blackberries is an excellent snack during weight loss attempts.
- Eye health: Blackberries also help to protect the eyes from UV radiations due to the presence of lutein. Lutein also prevents the damage caused to the area behind the retina, which is caused by oxidative stress and high wavelength light radiations.