Avocados are much higher in fat as compared to other fruits. Here, we will discuss the benefits of avocados. Avocados contain a lot of fiber, vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, potassium as well as copper. It also helps in reducing the cardio vascular diseases.
Avocados consist of 73% water, 15% of fat, 8.5% of carbs and 2% protein. They help in improving skin and losing weight as well as in treating diseases like cancer, diabetes and heart diseases. Let us discuss the various health benefits of avocados:
- Cardiovascular Health: As per many experts, high consumption of pro-inflammatory processed vegetable oils leads to cardiovascular diseases. Monounsaturated fatty acids in avocado help in lowering polyunsaturated fat in the body. Avocado is rich is monounsaturated oleic acid, which reduces dangerous LDL cholesterol in the blood. At the same time, it also increases beneficial HDL cholesterol. As per many studies, eating avocado can also decrease high blood triglyceride levels, which is another common predictor of cardiovascular problems. They are also a rich source of folate, which reduces dangerous homocysteine levels in the blood.
- Improved Digestion: Avocados are soothing for the intestine and therefore helpful in digestion. They contain soluble and insoluble fiber, which helps to keep digestive system running smoothly. They bulk up stools and help to ensure the smooth passage of food through the intestinal tract. Avocados also reduce symptoms from conditions like constipation and diarrhea.
- Eye Health: Avocados are rich in lutein, a carotenoid that works as an antioxidant. It helps in protecting against eye disease. They also contain alpha-carotene and beta-carotene as well as tocopherol.
- Slow-Aging: Avocados help in reducing wrinkles and even help in fighting aging process from within. Antioxidants in this fruit also help to detoxify your body and to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. It will make your skin more supple and plump. A cup of avocado juice daily nourishes and protects your skin from the inside out. Avocados also contains vitamins which helps in re-invigorating dull and dry skin and making it look glowing with health.
- Healthy Heart & Blood Pressure levels: Avocados contain more potassium than bananas. It is an important mineral which supports healthy blood pressure levels. Avocados and its oil are also high in monounsaturated oleic acid, a heart healthy fatty acid. It is believed to be one of the main reasons for the health benefits of olive oil.
- Reduce Bad Breath: Drinking avocado juice will cleanse your mouth as well as your intestine. It also helps in removing the microbes that are the cause of bad breath.
- Reduction in Symptoms of Arthritis: avocado oil (33%) and soybean oil (66%) are primarily used to suppress and finally treat symptoms in people suffering from arthritis. As per some studies, these supplements have been reported to reduce symptoms of arthritis, especially in the knee and hip area.
- Beneficial for Pregnant Women: Avocado contains a great amount of folic acid. It is important for preventing birth defects like spinal bifida and neural tube. Doctors also suggest avocado intake before and during pregnancy because of presence of vitamin B in it. Avocado also contains vitamin K, which is another valuable nutrient for pregnant women.
- Cancer treatment: Avocados are rich source of antioxidants carotenoids like alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, betz-cryptoxanthin, lutein and zeaxanthin. They protect the cells against cancer cells. As per one study, there is lower risk of death for cancer and heart disease for those with the highest levels of alpha-carotene in their blood over a 14 year period. Vitamin C in avocado is considered protective against many non-hormonal cancers. Vitamin E in it is considered to be helpful in breast cancer.
- Kidney Health: Potassium in avocado helps in maintaining a normal heart rate. Potassium also maintains fluid balance through chemical channels for cells and organs. Balance of fluid is also important for the functioning of the kidney.
- Bone Health: Avocados contain zeaxanthin and lutein, which are associated with a reduced risk of cartilage defects. Avocados may help to reduce the risk of osteoarthritis. Zinc, copper, calcium, phosphorus, etc. are vital for good bone health, which are present in avocados.