Aloe Vera stores water in its leaves, which are thick and fleshy. The leaves produce two substances – the gel, which is more or less water with several other nutrients mixed in, and the sap, which is also known as aloe latex. Aloe Vera contains several minerals and vitamins which are important for proper growth and functions of the body. It has earned a permanent place in many household. It is a treatment you can always rely on.
Aloe Vera is also known as ‘Ghritkumari’ in Hindi, ‘Katrakai’ in Tamil, ‘Kalabanda’ in Telugu, ‘Lolisara’ in Kannada, ‘Kumari’ in Malyalam, ‘Koraphada’ in Marathi, and ‘Ghrtakumari’ in Bengali.
It is widely used in beauty products and got antiviral and antibacterial properties. It also has the ability to help treat everything from constipation to diabetes. Let us discuss the various benefits of Aloe Vera.
- Improved Digestion: Aloe Vera possesses the adaptogenic properties which ensures the better nutrient absorption and also eliminates harmful elements through smooth excretion. It also helps in curing irritable bowel syndrome and keeps constipation, piles and other gastrointestinal conditions from damaging the system. Aloe Vera also possess the ability to cure a host of digestive disorders and ulcers. As per many studies, Aloe Vera cures peptic ulcers, crohn’s disease as well as other digestive tract disorders.
- Soothes rashes & skin irritations: As per many reports, Aloe Vera improves the skin condition, helpful in wound healing and treatment of psoriasis, oral mucositis, dermatitis, surgical wounds and as a home remedy for burn injuries. Many studies also showed that Aloe Vera effectively treats frostbite, burns & inflammation and genital herpes. It is also used as an antifungal and antimicrobial agent.
- Skin health: Aloe Vera gel and soap come loaded with several nutrients like glycerin, sodium carbonate, sodium palmate, sodium palm kemelate, sorbitol, etc. They help in nourishing the skin from within improving the glow of skin. It also helps in preventing the early signs of aging. Aloe Vera moisturizes the skin and helps in removing the dead cells. As per the research, Aloe Vera improves the elasticity of skin and makes it smoother and more supple.
- Aids in weight loss: As per Britt Brandon, the author of The Everything Guide to Aloe Vera for Health, ‘Aloe Vera can improve the effectiveness of your diet and maximize the weight-loss potential. With ample amounts of minerals and vitamins that contribute to weight loss, as well as amino acids, enzymes and sterols, Aloe Vera ensures your diet is not only supportive of weight loss but also improves the body’s absorption and utilization, improving overall health as well as weight-loss success.
- Boost immunity: Beverages made from Aloe Vera juice possess natural detoxifying properties that helps in effectively cleaning the digestive system and the circulatory system. With the acceleration of absorption level of nutrients, the blood circulation becomes better resulting in improved health. Healthy cells ensure the body’s ability to ward off infections, thereby strengthening the immune system.
- Heals cold sores: Aloe Vera gel eases the discomfort and helps speed the healing process. Aloe Vera has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which helps in accelerating the healing and reducing pain, associated with cold sores. The amino acids and vitamin B1, B2 & B6 and vitamin C are also extremely helpful.
- Reduces stretch marks: With the passing of age, our skin expands and contracts just like elastic. When the skin stretches very far due to rapid weight gain or due to pregnancy, the elasticity of the skin gets damages, resulting in ugly stretch marks. They can be healed with the regular use of aloe vera soap.
- Hair health: Aloe Vera contains proteolytic enzymes which helps in repairing the dead cells on the scalp. It also acts as a great conditioner and leaves your hair all smooth and shiny. It helps in promoting hair growth, preventing itching on the scalp and removing dandruff.
- Anti-cancer: Aloe Vera gel destroys cancerous tumors effectively. As per the studies published in International Immunopharmacology, aloe vera polysaccharides contain some effective macrophages which produce huge volumes of nitric oxide, which has antitumor potential. In naturopathy, there are innumerable methods of cancer prevention and the aloe vera-based one has proven to be one of the most successful ones.
- Treats diabetes: Some evidence in humans and animals suggests that aloe vera is able to alleviate the chronic hyperglycemia and perturbed lipid profile that are common along people with diabetes and are major risk factors for cardiovascular complications.
- Maintains oral health: Aloe vera can be as effective as any toothpaste when it comes to maintaining your oral hygiene. Gel based toothpaste is wonderful for your teeth. Aloe vera gel make the toothpaste soothing and refreshing, which promotes dental health. It also helps in moisturizing the gums and treating wounds in the mouth.
- Heals side effects of Radiotherapy: Cancer patients often experience uncomfortable side effects due to radiotherapy. Topical application of aloe vera gel to the radiation area will make the patient immediately feel the soothing effect and it also accelerates healing. Of you drink aloe vera juice in such conditions, it will help you in healing the radiation burns.